Paul is a partner at Hughes Watters Askanase. He joined the firm in 2001. Before joining HWA, Paul worked at Bond & Taylor, L.L.P., specializing in start-up companies, venture capital and private securities transactions. He was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1999. Before becoming a lawyer, Paul was a business manager and worked several years as a community liaison and issue analyst for two mayors of Houston, Kathy Whitmire and Bob Lanier. Paul owns a retail business where he routinely deals with issues facing owners of small businesses.
Paul's practice focuses on consumer financial services and regulatory compliance in the areas of lending, retail and motor vehicle sales, as well as corporate law, including formation of business entities and non-profits, with an emphasis on partnerships and LLC's, and fundamental issues facing small to medium-size businesses: contracts, financing and private offerings of securities, non-competition and non-disclosure, protection of intellectual property, employment and contractor agreements, and the purchase and disposition of assets and stock.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science, Rice University, 1987
- Master of Arts degree in Public Administration, University of Houston, 1996
- Juris Doctorate, cum laude, University of Houston Law Center, 1999
- American Bar Association - Section of Business Law, Consumer Financial Services Committee
- American Inns of Court, 1998-1999
- Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- Houston Bar Association - Consumer and Commercial Law Committee
- Member, College of the State Bar of Texas
- Mortgage Bankers Association (National and Texas)
- National Reverse Mortgage Lenders Association
- State Bar of Texas - Consumer and Financial Law Committee; Business Law Committee
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Named a Rising Star in Texas Monthly and Law and Politics magazines, 2004-2008
- Articles Editor, University of Houston Law Review
- National Merit Scholar
COMMUNITY OUTREACH ACTIVITIES
Paul has committed his time and resources to numerous neighborhood, community and school groups.
HOBBIES AND SPECIAL INTERESTS
Golf and bocce, bridge and poker, opera and performing arts.