Larry joined Hughes Watters Askanase in 1994 and has over 30 years of experience in the practice of law.
Larry was admitted to the State Bar of Michigan; the State Bar of North Carolina; and the State Bar of Texas. He practices law in the U.S. District Courts of Texas (Southern, Western, Northern and Eastern), as well as in Michigan and North Carolina. Additionally, he is admitted to practice in the Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit and the Fourth Circuit, the U.S. Court of International Trade and the U.S. Supreme Court.
Among his more notable legal achievements, Larry:
Originated cases holding the U.S. Bankruptcy Court unconstitutional, as ultimately found by the U.S. Supreme Court which resulted in the passage of the Bankruptcy Reform and Federal Judgeship Act of 1984.
Wrote Five Amendments to the Bankruptcy Code and several Amendments to the Texas Finance Code. He also commented on, and wrote, part of the Interpretive Regulations for Texas Home Equity Lending. Larry also served on the committee of the Texas Consumer Credit Commissioner that drafted the plain language models for consumer contracts for all consumer transactions under Texas Finance Code.
He originated the U.S. Supreme Court case holding retroactive lien avoidance unconstitutional as a taking without just compensation in violation of the Fifth Amendment [U.S. vs. Security Industrial Bank, 103 U.S. 407 (1982)].
At Hughes Watters Askanase, Larry introduced the practice area of consumer financial services and the defense of class and individual actions for national consumer lenders. Larry, who is active in the American Bar Association and many national trade organizations for commercial and consumer lenders and automotive dealers, helped to raise the national profile of the firm beyond its well-established local reputation.
Larry's practice is focused on consumer financial services, bankruptcy law for creditors, commercial finance, and supporting consumer financial services litigation and entertainment law (film).
He has been a partner with Hughes Watters Askanase for nearly 15 years. Prior to joining the firm, he worked as in-house counsel and in private law practice with national and local firms.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology from North Georgia College and State University - The Military College of Georgia
- Emory University Law School
- Juris Doctorate, University of Michigan Law School
- U.S. Marine Corps Active Duty - Three years
- Major, U.S. Marine Corps Reserves - Eight years
- Awarded Navy Commendation medal with Combat "V" and Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Bronze Star.
- Texas Mortgage Bankers Association, Regulatory Compliance Committee for 2008-2009
- Former Editor, Consumer Finance Law QUARTERLY REPORT
- Manufactured Housing Institute's Finance Lawyers Committee
- Members Attorney Program of the American Collectors Association, State Chairman
- American Bar Association Consumer Financial Services Debt Collection and Bankruptcy Subcommittee, Former Chairman
- American Bar Association, Interest and Usury Subcommittee of the Commercial Financial Services Committee, Former chairman
- American Bar Association Consumer Bankruptcy Committee, Former Chair
Conference on Consumer Finance Law Task Force for the revision of Article 9 of the Uniform Commercial Code, Former Member
- American Bar Association, Member of Business Law Section Task Force on Federal Court Structure and the Business Bankruptcy Committee, Consumer Bankruptcy Committee, Litigation Section, Commercial Financial Services Committee, and Consumer Financial Services Committee
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
AWARDS AND HONORS
- First Vice President, National Association of Dealer Counsel (NADC)
- Chairman, Ex-officio, and Member of Governing Committee, Conference on Consumer Finance Law
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers; Former Member, Board of Regents
- Fellow, American College of Consumer Financial Services Lawyers
- Texas State Editor, HOUSELAW and CARLAW
- Member, Advisory Board of LRP Publications' Consumer Financial Services Law
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Monthly and Law and Politics magazines, 2003-2004
HOBBIES AND SPECIAL INTERESTS
Larry's special interests include film acting, yoga and writing poetry, plays and songs.