Gary Gunn has served as a co-managing partner of Hughes Watters Askanase since December 2007. He shares this role with Wayne Kitchens.
Gary joined Hughes Watters Askanase when HWA merged with Gunn, Mullins & Farrell, L.L.P. in 2005. Prior to merging with HWA, Gunn, Mullins & Farrell focused its practice on lender representation and commercial transactions. Gary and his partners recognized that a merger with HWA would provide them with the capacity to offer an enhanced set of top tier legal services to existing and prospective clients.
Gary was admitted to practice law in Texas in May 1988. He began his legal career in Houston as an associate with a local firm where he gained experience in commercial litigation. He next aligned with Russel Holt to form Gunn & Holt, PC, which maintained a broad civil practice, including representation of lenders in real estate financing transactions, loan workouts, collections and foreclosures, and other issues. Gunn & Holt also provided legal services in connection with real estate, general business and licensing transactions.
In 1996, Gary accepted the offer of a client, Interactive Visual Systems Corporation (IVS), to serve as its general counsel. IVS developed and operated DWANGO (Dial-Up Wide Area Network Gaming Operation), a high-speed computer gaming solution. As general counsel, he negotiated licensing agreements, other contracts and strategic alliances, and sought protection for IVS' intellectual property. By June 1996, Gary was promoted to chief operating officer of IVS and was later responsible for developing and executing the company's exit strategy.
Gary represents financial institutions and other lenders, real estate developers, software developers and many other businesses and investors. He also represents lenders that originate Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae multi-family loans intended for securitization or sale in the secondary market.
Gary's experience includes representation of clients in complex real estate financing transactions, commercial loans, commercial real estate transactions, commercial leasing transactions, commercial loan workouts and foreclosures, and acquisitions of promissory notes and other assets. He also has extensive experience in negotiating and structuring domestic and international software and firmware development contracts and licensing agreements.
Some examples of Gary's transactional experience include the following:
- Represented lender in $25 million loan for development of residential subdivision in Fort Bend County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $14.5 million loan for development of residential subdivision in Denton County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $18.9 million loan for construction of a multi-family apartment project in Nueces County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $18 million loan for construction of student housing facility on ground-leased property in McLennan County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $12.8 million loan for construction of office building in Brazoria County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $15 million revolving credit facility secured by timeshare-related assets.
- Represented lender in $12.5 million refinance of office building in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $13 million refinance of hotel property in Tarrant County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $13.5 million refinance of marina property in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented lender in third party's assumption of original borrower's obligations under $9.1 million loan secured by real property located in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $10 million loan for acquisition of real estate and development of residential subdivision in Houston, Texas.
- Represented lender in restructure of $7.3 million real estate loan to tenants-in-common.
- Represented lender in $8.7 million loan for construction of office building in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented lender in $6.1 million loan for construction of business condominium complex in Harris County, Texas.
- Represented lender in establishment of $3.8 million credit facility for acquisition of distressed assets.
- Represented transportation company in connection with the negotiation and closing of a $75 million term equipment loan secured my maritime assets.
- Representation of corporate borrower in connection with the negotiation and closing of a $75 million asset-based credit facility, together with subsequent amendments thereto and pledges of additional collateral thereunder.
- Represented lender in $6.5 million loan for construction of business condominium complex in Travis County, Texas.
- Representation of lender in $7.2 million loan for conversion of Houston warehouse facility into single-family residential and commercial use lofts.
- Representation of lender in connection with the negotiation, documentation and closing of a $13 million loan for the construction of a multi-family apartment project.
- Represented lender in $19.4 million Freddie Mac capital markets execution (CME) loan for purchase of multi-family project in Colorado.
- Represented corporation in leasing multiple locations in retail centers in Houston, Dallas and other Texas cities.
- Represented corporation in leasing multiple locations in office buildings in Houston, Dallas and other Texas cities.
- Represented purchaser in connection with acquisition of approximately 200,000 square foot office building in Houston, Texas.
- Represented purchaser in connection with acquisition of 46,000 square foot hotel in Houston, Texas.
- Represented seller in connection with sale of 24,000 square foot hotel in Houston, Texas.
- Represented business owner in acquisition of real estate and construction of three large daycare facilities in Brazoria County, Texas and financing thereof.
- Represented business owner in connection with acquisition of large daycare facility in Fort Bend County, Texas and financing thereof.
- University of Houston Law Center, Juris Doctorate, December 1987
- University of Texas at Arlington, Bachelor of Science degree, Economics 1984
- Gary is Board Certified in Commercial Real Estate Law by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Named a Texas Super Lawyer by Texas Monthly and Law and Politics magazines, 2013
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Exchange Forum
- State Bar of Texas - Real Estate, Probate and Trust Law Sections
- Texas Association of Bank Counsel
Hobbies and Special Interests
Gary enjoys spending time with his wife, Virginia, and their three sons—Graeme, Braeden, and Greyson. Gary has developed a full blown passion for cycling arising out of training for and participation in the 2011 and 2012 MS150 charity bike ride from Houston to Austin. Other hobbies include Masters Track and Field, golfing, working out, playing the guitar and other musical instruments, and traveling.