David Askanase has more than 40 years of experience as a practicing attorney. He founded Hughes Watters Askanase along with John Hughes, of counsel, and Harry Watters in March 1978.
He is certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization for Business Bankruptcy Law and Consumer Bankruptcy Law. David's extensive experience relative to the practice of bankruptcy law includes re-organizations and workouts for corporations and individuals. He represents secured creditors in and out of bankruptcy and representing entities that seek to acquire assets in and out of bankruptcy.
David was admitted to the State Bar of Texas in 1962. He practices law in the U.S. District Courts of Texas (Southern, Western, Northern and Eastern) and the Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit. He also is a Chapter 7 Trustee for the U.S. Bankruptcy Court.
David has won and settled numerous cases during his career. He served as a bankruptcy trustee for a notable Chapter 11 case involving the Guyana Development Corporation. David chased assets around the world from Libya, England, and Belgium to Ireland and Switzerland. At the end of nearly two years, he helped to recover an estimated $80 million.
- Juris Doctorate, Harvard University, 1962
- Bachelor of Science degree in Economics, University of Pennsylvania, 1958
- American Bar Association
- Commercial Law League of America
- Houston Bankruptcy Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
AWARDS AND HONORS
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Rating
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2012
- Named as a Super Lawyer in Texas Monthly and Law & Politics magazines 2003-2013
COMMUNITY OUTREACH ACTIVITIES
David is a member of the Emanu EL Congregation in Houston, Texas and is actively involved in supporting the Jewish Community Center.