Brent is a legal problem-solver. He brings a solid understanding of both litigation and transactional matters to bear on complex legal issues. Financial institutions, manufacturers, restaurateurs, and others regularly call on Brent’s broad skill set in order to resolve their legal issues quickly and efficiently.
As a skilled litigator with a background in contracts and business law, Brent vigorously prosecutes his client’s rights—whether in court in front of a judge or jury, in arbitration before an arbitration panel, or at a conference table surrounded by business people.
Brent has garnered a solid reputation as an aggressive advocate on behalf of his clients. He regularly handles tough issues involving complex damage models, including lost profits and legal theories such as business defamation, unfair competition, trade secrets, and other business torts. Brent also consults with his clients on strategies to mitigate a wide variety of legal risks.
He is frequently called upon by business owners and others to assist in matters ranging from private mergers and acquisitions, business restructuring, negotiating and renegotiating contracts, and business dissolutions. He has demonstrated his effectiveness in working with clients across the value chain spectrum, representing vendors, suppliers, and customers, helping each to achieve their primary objectives.
Brent speaks on a broad range of legal issues to a variety of audiences, including trade associations, civic organizations, and educational institutions. He has built his practice primarily through word-of-mouth referrals, by providing clients with a consistently positive legal experience.
- Transportation, Logistics, Courier issues
- Commercial Litigation/Business-related Litigation
- Employment and Independent Contractor Issues
- Unfair Competition
- Business Separation
- Bank Litigation
- Creditors’ Rights/Commercial Collections
- Business Torts
- Third Party Claims
- In a case involving breach of fiduciary duty, conspiracy, computer tampering, and injunctive relief, successfully represented a corporate plaintiff from initiation of the case through a six day jury trial.
- In a case involving commercial fraud and embezzlement, successfully represented the defrauded party through a jury trial.
- In a case involving the manufacture of industrial components to a contractual standard under the Uniform Commercial Code, obtained and collected judgment in favor of the manufacturer.
- In a dispute over “buy out” rights under shareholders’ agreement, filed suit and successfully negotiated resolution on behalf of the shareholder.
- In a case in which a client was alleged to have failed to pay for business equipment, successfully defended the client by asserting a counterclaim for unpaid royalties, and negotiating a resolution by which the client recovered from the plaintiff.
- Texas, 1995
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the 5th Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Texas
- University of Houston Law Center, Houston, Texas, J.D. 1995
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, California, Supplemental Studies, Great Books of Western Civilization 1989-1992
- Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas, B.A. English 1988
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Houston Journal of International Law – Publishing Editor, 1994-1995
- State Bar of Texas – Member
- Houston Bar Association – Member
- Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 40, Skyline District, Sam Houston Area Council, Boy Scouts of America, 2009-present
- Civic Club Board of Directors – Past President
- Greater Houston A&M Club – Downtown Activities Coordinator, 2002-2008
- Supervisory Committee, Primeway Federal Credit Union
- Recipient of Harris Award for Outstanding Volunteer, Greater Houston A&M Club, 2004
- Member, Church of the Holy Trinity, REC
- Harris County Tax Increment Reinvestment Board – Member 2004-2006
- Friends of the Inner City Forest – Member 2002-2005. Unincorporated association for preservation of a 20+ acre inner-loop forest